RhymesWithStitch's Blog

Couture Costuming

Parasol Project 4

leave a comment »

The next one is Square Steampunk.

This was the idea that got the parasol jag started. Meg and Jamie spotted a square parasol at the local Ren Faire. Very Cute. $60. Very expensive.

As the three of us often catch a bad case of “I could do that” we started making parasols.

We removed the fabric and cut every-other rib down. Using a straight edge we then marked off the uncut ribs to ‘square’ up the sides.

We then spray painted the skeleton with a bronze finish, only taping off the handle.

You have to face the fact that it may flake or scratch off because the time it would take to prep the skeleton to seriously paint would be ridiculous.

 The original canopy was replaced by a square of fabric recycled from a thrift store bedsheet.

The plain fabric was decorated with markers and edged with a muted gold thread on Serge (the new serger) The gold is the same stuff I use to hem Levi’s, very muted.

 Meg and Jamie did most of it.

Square Steampunk by Rhymes with Stitch

Square Steampunk by Rhymes with Stitch and admirer

Advertisements

Written by rhymeswithstitch

August 21, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Posted in Crafting

Tagged with

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: